Post- UCLA Trip Reflections

So… UCLA is beautiful, guys. Like breathtakingly beautiful. Since I applied there for transfer, I decided it was time to visit the campus. I am lucky because one of my best friends (Hi, McKenna!) transferred there in the fall of last year so she gave me a nice tour of the campus. The architecture was absolutely gorgeous and the FOOD was mouth-watering and delicious (shout out to Covel). My favorite part of the visit was definitely when nightfall hit and my friends and I were getting ready to leave, not because I wanted to leave necessarily, but because I love how beautiful the campus looked at night; how silent it was and how free I felt rollin’ around there. In the event that I decide I want to stay in Southern California for college next year, UCLA has the top spot on that list. 
Not only did I learn about the campus and meet some pretty awesome people, I also learned a valuable lesson about myself. 
The day of the trip (Tuesday) was a long one, for me anyway. I woke up at 7:30 AM and the day just kept going from there. We got to UCLA around 3-ish (?) and I was going, going, going, and by 8:30 PM, I was yawning non-stop. While I desperately tried to stay awake and present by slapping myself in the face (seriously) and participating in rap battles with my friends, after a significant amount of time, I became completely unresponsive. Because of my CP, I expend about 3-5x more energy than the average person. Everything I do takes 10x the energy and at the end of the night, my energy was depleted and after transferring from my bedazzled scooter to a brown lounge chair, I was done. I mean, really done, but I didn’t want to leave simply because I was having so much fun (despite my frequent bouts of silence) and I felt like an actual college student. I saw dorms, ate in a dining hall, and I rolled around like I owned the place (with a Starbucks in hand to boot). I was also elated to just be out with my favorite people, exploring one of the most beautiful schools I’ve ever seen. 
The lesson I learned, though, is that I have to remember my limits. At all times. It’s easy for me to forget that in certain situations, I don’t operate the same way others that are my same age do. By the time I transferred back into my scooter, I had to continuously sit down because I couldn’t transfer as easily as I thought I could. I felt extremely lethargic and even though I took a thirty minute power nap and drank caffeinated green tea afterward to remain awake, I knew my body was sort of shutting down. (I am also a 89-year-old woman trapped in a 21-year-old’s body, so I haven’t exactly caught up to my chronological age.) 
Then again, I’m completely stubborn and when my body fights with me, I fight back. I was determined to make it the entire day and I did, but now, I understand that next time I’ll have to listen to what my body is telling me. 
To end this, I am stupid and didn’t take any pictures of the actual campus, but I will leave you with some fab selfies I took with my friends! 
 || We hawt. ||

||My face is blurry but who cares?||

||Because if you don’t Snapchat it, did it really happen?||

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s